Although your teeth are very strong, they can break due to many reasons, such as weakness, decay, or traumatic injuries. Your tooth will be so painful when the pulp is exposed due to a cavity or crack in the tooth. In this case, you experience a painful toothache. The best solution is to visit the emergency dentist as soon as possible.
If your tooth is broken, contact us as soon as you can. Dental Clinic Toronto provides you the high-quality emergency dental services in the shortest possible time.
What Should You Do If Your Tooth Breaks?
In this case, the first step is to keep calm. Rinse your mouth with water gently to have it cleaned. Then, try to find the broken piece and put it in a glass of milk, water with a pinch of salt, or your saliva. If it is not possible, you can wrap it in a wet gauze and take it to the emergency dentist. You should consider that any broken tooth needs to be treated by the emergency dentist as soon as possible.
How Can You Reduce Your Broken Tooth Pain Until You Get to the Emergency Dental Clinic?
Here are some solutions for reducing your pain:
– Use an OTC medicine or anti-inflammatories
– Rinse your mouth with saltwater
– Apply Clove oil
– Use the dental floss around the tooth if a small piece of your tooth is broken. Please note that if a large part of your tooth is broken, flossing can make it worse.
– Apply dental wax to cover the sharp edges of your tooth. It will prevent the broken tooth from damaging your cheeks, tongue, and lips.
Keep in mind that all of these tips can relieve your pain temporarily. You have to head to the emergency dental clinic in the shortest possible time to have your broken tooth treated. If you leave it untreated, it will cause infection, missing the tooth, and so on.
How the Emergency Dentist Treats Your Broken Tooth?
The treatment of the broken tooth depends on the severity and the location of it in the mouth. The treatment procedure may include:
– Gluing the broken piece back on: the emergency dentist may glue the piece of the tooth back into place.
– Dental bonding: the emergency dentist may apply a tooth-colored resin on the tooth and hardens it with a special light. Therefore, he improves the appearance of your tooth.
– Root canal treatment: if your tooth is badly decayed or becomes infected, the emergency dentist will remove the damaged pulp. Then, he fills the tooth with filling materials and places a dental crown on the tooth.
– Tooth extraction: if the broken tooth cannot be treated, it will be extracted in our dental clinic.
Prevention is always better than cure. You can prevent your teeth from breaking if you avoid biting on hard foods or hard objects. You can use a nightguard if you grind your teeth at night. The mouth guard is also useful to prevent dental injuries while exercising.